Government Engineering Colleges in Bihar are a group of 19 colleges that offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs in engineering and technology. These colleges are affiliated to Aryabhatta Knowledge University (AKTU) and are located in different parts of the state. The colleges are known for their high-quality education and are a popular choice for students from Bihar and other states.
The first government engineering college in Bihar opened in 1955. Since then, the number of colleges has risen to 19. The colleges provide a diverse range of undergraduate and graduate engineering and technology programs, including civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science engineering, and electronics and communication engineering. Some colleges also offer diploma programs in certain disciplines.
Bihar’s government engineering colleges admit students through the Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination (BCECE). The BCECE is a state-level entrance exam administered by Bihar Polytechnic.
The government engineering colleges in Bihar are well-known for providing high-quality education. The colleges have qualified and experienced faculty members who help students build a solid foundation in engineering and technology. The colleges also provide well-equipped laboratories and libraries.
Importance of the Govenrment engineering Colleges in Bihar
Government Engineering Colleges in Bihar play a crucial role in the state’s development and the lives of its young people. These institutions provide high-quality, affordable engineering education, enabling students to acquire the skills and knowledge needed to contribute to various sectors like infrastructure, manufacturing, IT, and more. Here’s a breakdown of their importance:
1. Skilled Workforce Development:
- Bihar, with its young and growing population, requires a skilled workforce to drive economic development. Government engineering colleges meet this need by producing competent engineers in a variety of disciplines, including civil, mechanical, electrical, and computer science.
- These graduates contribute to various sectors like infrastructure development, power generation, automobile manufacturing, software development, and more, propelling the state’s economic engine.
2. Increased Employability and Standard of Living:
- A degree from a government engineering college in Bihar opens doors to better job opportunities with competitive salaries. This, in turn, improves the standard of living for graduates and their families, contributing to poverty reduction and overall societal well-being.
- The knowledge and skills gained through these programs empower individuals to become financially independent and contribute meaningfully to the economy.
3. Promoting Innovation and Entrepreneurship:
- Bihar’s government engineering colleges are increasingly focusing on research and development, encouraging students to think critically and come up with innovative solutions to real-world problems.
- This fosters a culture of entrepreneurship, where graduates can create their own businesses or contribute to existing ones with their innovative ideas and technical expertise.
4. Bridging the Social Gap and Promoting Inclusivity:
- Government engineering colleges in Bihar provide affordable education opportunities to students from diverse backgrounds, including those from rural areas and underprivileged communities.
- This promotes social mobility and inclusivity, allowing talented individuals from all walks of life to access quality education and improve their socioeconomic status.
5. Strengthening Infrastructure and Public Services:
- The engineering graduates from these colleges play a vital role in developing and maintaining Bihar’s infrastructure, including roads, bridges, irrigation systems, and power grids.
- They also contribute to improving public services like water supply, sanitation, and healthcare systems, leading to a better quality of life for all citizens.
Why Bihar has become one of the Popular Choice for Engineering aspirants?
While not the most obvious choice for some, Bihar attracts a large number of engineering students for a variety of reasons. Here’s a breakdown of the factors driving its popularity:
Affordable and Accessible Education:
- Government engineering colleges in Bihar provide high-quality education at significantly lower costs than many other regions. This makes them an appealing option for students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds who are eager to pursue engineering careers.
- In comparison to private institutions, the fees are significantly lower, and scholarships are widely available, making it a viable option for those with limited financial resources.
Competitive entrance exams:
- Although Bihar engineering colleges administer their own entrance exam (BCECE), it is often regarded as less competitive than national exams such as JEE Main and Advanced. This opens up a potentially easier path for students who do not score as high on national exams but have the aptitude and dedication to pursue engineering studies.
- The competition within the state can be fierce, motivating students to strive for excellence and prepare thoroughly.
Focus on core engineering skills:
- The curriculum at Bihar engineering colleges frequently emphasizes traditional core engineering subjects such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electrical engineering. This may appeal to students who value a solid foundation in the fundamentals over a more diverse curriculum.
- While some may view the relative lack of emphasis on newer fields such as data science or machine learning as a disadvantage, it can also be an advantage for students seeking a solid foundation in engineering principles.
Strong Alumni Network:
- Bihar has a large network of successful alumni from its engineering colleges who hold important positions in various industries and government organizations. This network can offer valuable mentorship, career advice, and even job opportunities to aspiring engineers.
- Knowing that successful engineers graduated from the same institutions can boost students’ confidence and inspire them to achieve similar success.
Cultural and Social Factors:
- Bihar has a rich cultural heritage and a thriving intellectual community, which may appeal to students seeking a unique and stimulating environment. The cost of living is generally lower than in major metropolitan cities, making it a more affordable option.
- For Bihar students, staying close to home and family while pursuing their education can be a significant factor in selecting local engineering colleges.
- The Bihar government has been making significant investments in improving the infrastructure and facilities of its engineering colleges. This includes initiatives to modernize labs, attract qualified faculty, and offer industry-relevant courses to improve employability.
- These efforts, which are still ongoing, demonstrate a commitment to improving the quality of engineering education in the state, potentially making it even more appealing to future students.
Salary Range & Job Outlook
|Field of Study
|Starting Salary Range (INR)
|Mid-Career Salary Range (INR)
|Moderate to good. Opportunities in infrastructure development, construction, government projects.
|Moderate to good. Opportunities in manufacturing, automotive, power generation, government projects.
|Moderate to good. Opportunities in power distribution, transmission, electrical equipment manufacturing, government projects.
|Electronics & Communication Engineering
|Good. Opportunities in IT, telecommunications, electronics manufacturing, research and development.
|Computer Science Engineering
|Excellent. Opportunities in software development, IT infrastructure, data analytics, artificial intelligence.
|Candidates must be Indian nationals.
|Candidates must be residents of Bihar.
|Candidates must have passed 10+2 or equivalent examination.
|Candidates must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics
|Candidates must have obtained a minimum of 45% (40% for SC/ST)
Passed minimum 3 years Diploma examination with at least 45% marks (40% marks in case of candidates belonging to reserved category)
|Candidates must be at least 17 years old as on December 31, 2023
Candidates must first register online on the BCECEB’s official website within the time frames specified.
- Visit the Official Website: Candidates must first visit the official website of BCECEB at bceceboard.bihar.gov.in.
- Click on the Counselling Link: On the homepage of the website, candidates must click on the link for Bihar Undergraduate Engineering Admission Counselling.
- Register: Candidates must register themselves by providing the required details such as name, date of birth, email id, and phone number. A registration number and password will be generated and sent to the candidate’s registered email and phone number.
- Login: After receiving the registration number and password, candidates must login to the BCECEB portal to access the counselling application form.
- Fill the Application Form: Candidates must fill the application form with the required details such as personal information, JEE Main application number, educational qualification, and preferred choices of colleges and courses.
- Upload Documents: Candidates must upload scanned copies of the required documents such as mark sheets, caste certificate (if applicable), and other necessary documents.
- Pay Counselling Fee: Candidates must pay the counselling fee online using a debit/credit card or net banking.
- Submit Application Form: After completing all the above steps, candidates must review their application form and submit it online. Candidates are advised to take a printout of the submitted application form for future reference.
- Following the conclusion of registration and document verification, the BCECEB releases the merit list based on the performance of the candidates in the qualifying examination.
- The merit list includes the names of candidates who met the eligibility requirements and were chosen for the counselling process. The merit list is a compiled based on the candidate’s performance in the qualifying examinations in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- Candidates on the merit list are entitled to participate in the counselling procedure. The merit list are published on the BCECEB’s official website, where candidates can verify their merit rank and download their merit list.
- Candidates who have qualified for Bihar Undergraduate Engineering Admission Counselling must fill out their preferred college and course options after the merit list is revealed. This is accomplished through the online selection process.
- Before completing the form, candidates should carefully evaluate their options. They should select colleges and courses depending on their interests, eligibility, and seat availability. Before locking in their preferred selections, candidates can edit, add, or eliminate them.
- Once the applicants have made their selections, they must confirm them within the time range specified. After the deadline, the choices are finalized, and candidates cannot make any revisions.
- The BCECEB assigns seats the procedure of seat allotment is based on the candidate’s merit rank, preferred options, and seat availability.
- To complete the admission procedure, candidates who have been assigned a seat must download the provisional allotment letter and report to the assigned college by the deadline.
- Candidates who are dissatisfied with their temporary seat allocation can participate in the next round of counselling by re-entering their preferred selections. The method of seat allocation will be repeated for each round of counselling until all seats are filled.
Reporting to Allotted Colleges
- Candidates who have been assigned a seat in Bihar UGEAC must report to the designated college within the stipulated time to finish the admission process after the seat allotment process is done.
- Candidates must bring all required documents, both originals and photocopies, to the reporting location.
- Candidates must pay the admission fee and fulfil the relevant requirements upon reporting to their assigned college. Upon completion of the admissions procedure, they will be granted a provisional admission letter. Candidates should keep a copy of their admission letter for future reference.
- The Bihar UGEAC counselling fee is the sum that candidates must pay in order to participate in the counselling procedure. The Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination Board (BCECEB), which is in charge of the counselling procedure, determines the counselling fee for Bihar UGEAC.
- It should be noted that the Bihar UGEAC counselling fee is non-refundable, even if a candidate is not admitted to any college. As a result, before submitting their choices and paying the counselling fee, candidates should carefully assess their college preferences.
- Candidates who do not pay the counselling fee within the time frame indicated will be unable to participate in the Bihar UGEAC counselling process. To avoid any inconvenience, it is critical to finish the payment process within the time frame specified.
- Original Admit Card of JEE MAIN
- Original Score Card of JEE MAIN
- Passing Certificate / Mark sheet / Admit Card of Metric / equivalent exam.
- Passing Certificate / Mark sheet / Admit Card of Intermediate/ 10+2 / equivalent exam.
- Residential Certificate
- Caste Certificate
- All the Certificate / documents in original as per the requirements of admissions in Private Engg. Colleges.
- Six copies of the passport size photographs, which was pasted on the Admit Card of JEE MAIN.
- Downloaded print of Online filled Application Form of UGEAC.
- Aadhar Card.
- Any other documents required (if any) such as DQ (PwD)/SMQ / EWS certificate
List of The Government Engineering Colleges in Bihar
|Bhagalpur PerrnanentCollege of Engineeing, Bhagalpur
|Muzafarpur Institute of Technology, Muzaffarpur
|Gaya College of Engineeing, Gaya
|Motihari College of Engineering,Motihar
|Darbhanga College of Engineering, Darbhanga
|Nalanda College of Engineering,Chandi
|Loknayak Jai Prakash Institute of Technology, Chapra
|Bakhtiyarpur College of Engineering, Bakhtiyarpur
|Sitamarhi Institute of Technology
|Rashtrakavi Ramdhari Singh Dinkar College of Engineering, Begusarai
|Sershah Engineering College, Sasaram
|B P Mandal College of Engineering Madhepura
|Katihar Engineering College, Katihar
|Purnea College of Engineering, Purnea
|Saharsa College of Engineering, Saharsa
|Supaul College of Engineering, Supaul
|Government Engineering College, Banka
|Government Engineering College, Vaishali
|Government Engineering College, Jamui
|Government Engineering College, Nawada
|Government Engineering College, Kishanganj
|Government Engineering College, Araria
|Government Engineering College, Munger
|Government Engineering College, Champaran
|Government Engineering College, Aurangabad
|Government Engineering College, Sheohar
|Government Engineering College, Kaimur
|Government Engineering College, Gopalganj
|Government Engineering College, Madhubani
|Government Engineering College, Siwan
|Government Engineering College, Jehanabad
|Government Engineering College, Arwal
|Government Engineering College, Kagaria
|Government Engineering College, Buxar
|Government Engineering College, Bhojpur
|Government Engineering College, Shekhpura
|Government Engineering College, Lakhisarai
|Government Engineering College, Samastipur
|Dr. Apj Abdul Kalam Womens Institute Of Technology
Engineering predictors refer to tools that use historical data and algorithms to estimate a student’s rank or chances of admission in engineering entrance exams like JEE Main or JEE Advanced, or to predict their likelihood of getting into specific engineering colleges based on their exam performance and other relevant factors.
We offer a range of valuable predictors to guide students through this crucial journey. Here are some of the Predictor that we provide,
- JEE Main Rank Predictor
- JEE Advanced Rank Predictor
- JEE Main College Predictor
- JEE Advanced College Predictor
Engineering Admission Consultant
As a JoSAA Counselling Expert, we offer specialized guidance and support for engineering admissions through the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) Counselling process. Our team of knowledgeable Engineering Admission Consultants is well-versed in Josaa and CSAB counselling process, and we are dedicated to helping students achieve their dream of pursuing a successful engineering career.
With our expertise, we provide personalized assistance at every step of the admission process. Whether it’s college selection, application support, or understanding the JoSAA Counselling procedure, we are here to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience for aspiring engineers. Our Engineering Admission Consultant, also guide students for state level counseling.
Josaa Expert Counselling
Our expert counselling services cover JoSAA Counselling, CSAB Counselling, admission to top private engineering colleges, state-level counselling, and NRI counselling. Whether you aim for prestigious institutions like IITs and NITs or seek admissions in private colleges or state government engineering institutes, we are here to assist you at every step. Our experienced counsellors provide personalized guidance, ensuring you make informed decisions throughout the admission process. Here’re some of the details about JoSAA Expert Counsellings we offered;
- Josaa Counselling
- CSAB Counselling
- Top-Private Engineering College
- State Level Counselling
- Direct Admission Through Management Quota
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I get admission to a government engineering college in Bihar?
A: Admission is based on the Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination (BCECE). You can register for the exam online through the official website.
Q: What is the eligibility criteria for BCECE?
A: You must have passed Class 12th with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. Minimum marks required vary depending on the category (General, SC/ST, OBC).
Q: Can I apply for BCECE if I have passed JEE Main or Advanced?
A: Yes, you can apply for BCECE even if you have appeared for JEE Main or Advanced. However, selection will be based solely on your BCECE score/ JEE.
Q: Are there any scholarships available for students from government engineering colleges in Bihar?
A: Yes, several scholarships are available for students from various categories, including merit-based scholarships, scholarships for SC/ST/OBC students, and scholarships for students with disabilities.
Q: What courses are offered at government engineering colleges in Bihar?
A: A wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs are offered, including Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Computer Science Engineering, and many more.
Q: Can I specialize in a specific field within my chosen engineering discipline?
A: Yes, most colleges offer specializations in various areas within each discipline. You can choose your specialization during your later years of study.
Q: Are there any opportunities for research and development at government engineering colleges in Bihar?
A: While research opportunities may be limited compared to some other institutions, some colleges do have active research labs and collaborations with industries.
Q: What are the placement rates like for graduates from government engineering colleges in Bihar?
A: Placement rates vary depending on the college and the specific engineering discipline. However, many colleges have good placement records, and graduates are often recruited by leading companies in various sectors.
Q: What kind of jobs can I get with a degree from a government engineering college in Bihar?
A: Graduates can find employment in a variety of sectors, including infrastructure, manufacturing, IT, power generation, construction, and government departments.
Q: Can I start my own business after graduating from a government engineering college in Bihar?
A: Absolutely! The engineering skills and knowledge you gain can be invaluable for starting your own business. Many successful entrepreneurs have graduated from government engineering colleges in Bihar.