Engineering colleges in Bihar provide a wide range of options for aspiring engineers, meeting a variety of needs and aspirations. The state has a vibrant educational ecosystem, with prestigious institutions such as the Indian Institute of Technology Patna (IIT Patna) and the National Institute of Technology Patna (NIT Patna) alongside established government colleges and private universities.
IIT Patna is at the forefront of engineering education in Bihar and has consistently been ranked among India’s top engineering institutes. It offers a world-class learning environment with renowned faculty, cutting-edge infrastructure, and a rigorous curriculum that prepares students for successful careers in a variety of fields. NIT Patna, another esteemed institution, offers a strong focus on research and innovation, attracting bright minds from across the country.
Aside from these prestigious institutions, several government engineering colleges and private universities have emerged as strong competitors. Government colleges such as Maulana Azad College of Engineering and Technology in Patna and Gaya College of Engineering provide quality education at reasonable prices, making them available to a wider range of students. Students are drawn to private universities such as Sandip University, BP Mandal College of Engineering, and Shershah Engineering College, Sasaram, because of their modern facilities, industry-oriented programs, and diverse specialization options.
|Engineering Colleges in Bihar
|Effective Entrance Exam
|UGEAC, JEE Mains Or JEE Advanced
|No. Of Engineering Colleges
|Counselling Conducting Authority
|Bihar Combined Entrance Cometitve Examination Board
|Counselling Conducting Authority Official Websie
Importance of the Engineering Colleges in Bihar
Engineering colleges in Bihar play a crucial role in the state’s development, impacting various sectors and shaping its future:
1. Fostering Skilled Professionals:
- Meeting Industry Demands: These institutions equip students with the technical knowledge and practical skills needed in various industries like IT, manufacturing, infrastructure, and renewable energy. This skilled workforce bridges the gap between academia and industry, driving economic growth and innovation.
- Individual Empowerment: Engineering degrees open doors to diverse career opportunities, offering financial security and social mobility for graduates. They can pursue careers in their chosen field, contribute to startups, or even become entrepreneurs, propelling individual and community prosperity.
2. Driving Innovation and Research:
- Nurturing Innovation Hubs: Leading institutions like IIT Patna and NIT Patna actively engage in cutting-edge research, tackling real-world challenges and contributing to advancements in various fields. This fosters a culture of innovation and attracts talent, propelling the state towards a knowledge-based economy.
- Addressing Local Challenges: Many colleges focus on research relevant to Bihar’s specific needs, like water resource management, sustainable agriculture, and disaster mitigation. This localized approach helps solve local problems and improves the lives of communities.
3. Contributing to Social Impact and Development:
- Infrastructure Development: Engineering graduates play a vital role in designing, building, and maintaining essential infrastructure like roads, bridges, and power grids. This improves connectivity, facilitates economic activity, and enhances the quality of life for citizens.
- Promoting Sustainable Practices: Many colleges promote sustainable development practices and develop solutions for environmental challenges like water scarcity and renewable energy. This fosters environmental awareness and contributes to a more sustainable future for the state.
Why Bihar has become one of the Popular Choice for Engineering aspirants?
While not the most obvious choice for some, Bihar attracts a large number of engineering students for a variety of reasons. Here’s a breakdown of the factors driving its popularity:
Affordable and Accessible Education:
- Government engineering colleges in Bihar provide high-quality education at significantly lower costs than many other regions. This makes them an appealing option for students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds who are eager to pursue engineering careers.
- In comparison to private institutions, the fees are significantly lower, and scholarships are widely available, making it a viable option for those with limited financial resources.
Competitive entrance exams:
- Although Bihar engineering colleges administer their own entrance exam (BCECE), it is often regarded as less competitive than national exams such as JEE Main and Advanced. This opens up a potentially easier path for students who do not score as high on national exams but have the aptitude and dedication to pursue engineering studies.
- The competition within the state can be fierce, motivating students to strive for excellence and prepare thoroughly.
Focus on core engineering skills:
- The curriculum at Bihar engineering colleges frequently emphasizes traditional core engineering subjects such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electrical engineering. This may appeal to students who value a solid foundation in the fundamentals over a more diverse curriculum.
- While some may view the relative lack of emphasis on newer fields such as data science or machine learning as a disadvantage, it can also be an advantage for students seeking a solid foundation in engineering principles.
Strong Alumni Network:
- Bihar has a large network of successful alumni from its engineering colleges who hold important positions in various industries and government organizations. This network can offer valuable mentorship, career advice, and even job opportunities to aspiring engineers.
- Knowing that successful engineers graduated from the same institutions can boost students’ confidence and inspire them to achieve similar success.
Cultural and Social Factors:
- Bihar has a rich cultural heritage and a thriving intellectual community, which may appeal to students seeking a unique and stimulating environment. The cost of living is generally lower than in major metropolitan cities, making it a more affordable option.
- For Bihar students, staying close to home and family while pursuing their education can be a significant factor in selecting local engineering colleges.
- The Bihar government has been making significant investments in improving the infrastructure and facilities of its engineering colleges. This includes initiatives to modernize labs, attract qualified faculty, and offer industry-relevant courses to improve employability.
- These efforts, which are still ongoing, demonstrate a commitment to improving the quality of engineering education in the state, potentially making it even more appealing to future students.
Salary Range & Job Outlook
|Salary Range (Fresh Graduates)
|Top IIT & NIT (IIT Patna, NIT Patna)
|Good, high demand in core and IT sectors
|Government Engineering Colleges (Maulana Azad, Gaya, etc.)
|Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
|Moderate, opportunities in government jobs and core engineering roles
|Information Technology, Computer Science
|Good, growing demand in IT and IT-enabled sectors
|Private Universities (Sandip, BP Mandal, etc.)
|Varies depending on college reputation and specialization
|Moderate, depends on college placement records and individual skills
|Other Private Colleges
|Varies depending on college reputation and specialization
|Moderate to low, opportunities depend on individual skills and location
|Candidates must be Indian nationals.
|Candidates must be residents of Bihar.
|Candidates must have passed 10+2 or equivalent examination.
|Candidates must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics
|Candidates must have obtained a minimum of 45% (40% for SC/ST)
Passed minimum 3 years Diploma examination with at least 45% marks (40% marks in case of candidates belonging to reserved category)
|Candidates must be at least 17 years old as on December 31, 2023
Candidates must first register online on the BCECEB’s official website within the time frames specified.
- Visit the Official Website: Candidates must first visit the official website of BCECEB at bceceboard.bihar.gov.in.
- Click on the Counselling Link: On the homepage of the website, candidates must click on the link for Bihar Undergraduate Engineering Admission Counselling.
- Register: Candidates must register themselves by providing the required details such as name, date of birth, email id, and phone number. A registration number and password will be generated and sent to the candidate’s registered email and phone number.
- Login: After receiving the registration number and password, candidates must login to the BCECEB portal to access the counselling application form.
- Fill the Application Form: Candidates must fill the application form with the required details such as personal information, JEE Main application number, educational qualification, and preferred choices of colleges and courses.
- Upload Documents: Candidates must upload scanned copies of the required documents such as mark sheets, caste certificate (if applicable), and other necessary documents.
- Pay Counselling Fee: Candidates must pay the counselling fee online using a debit/credit card or net banking.
- Submit Application Form: After completing all the above steps, candidates must review their application form and submit it online. Candidates are advised to take a printout of the submitted application form for future reference.
- Following the conclusion of registration and document verification, the BCECEB releases the merit list based on the performance of the candidates in the qualifying examination.
- The merit list includes the names of candidates who met the eligibility requirements and were chosen for the counselling process. The merit list is a compiled based on the candidate’s performance in the qualifying examinations in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- Candidates on the merit list are entitled to participate in the counselling procedure. The merit list are published on the BCECEB’s official website, where candidates can verify their merit rank and download their merit list.
- Candidates who have qualified for Bihar Undergraduate Engineering Admission Counselling must fill out their preferred college and course options after the merit list is revealed. This is accomplished through the online selection process.
- Before completing the form, candidates should carefully evaluate their options. They should select colleges and courses depending on their interests, eligibility, and seat availability. Before locking in their preferred selections, candidates can edit, add, or eliminate them.
- Once the applicants have made their selections, they must confirm them within the time range specified. After the deadline, the choices are finalized, and candidates cannot make any revisions.
- The BCECEB assigns seats the procedure of seat allotment is based on the candidate’s merit rank, preferred options, and seat availability.
- To complete the admission procedure, candidates who have been assigned a seat must download the provisional allotment letter and report to the assigned college by the deadline.
- Candidates who are dissatisfied with their temporary seat allocation can participate in the next round of counselling by re-entering their preferred selections. The method of seat allocation will be repeated for each round of counselling until all seats are filled.
Reporting to Allotted Colleges
- Candidates who have been assigned a seat in Bihar UGEAC must report to the designated college within the stipulated time to finish the admission process after the seat allotment process is done.
- Candidates must bring all required documents, both originals and photocopies, to the reporting location.
- Candidates must pay the admission fee and fulfil the relevant requirements upon reporting to their assigned college. Upon completion of the admissions procedure, they will be granted a provisional admission letter. Candidates should keep a copy of their admission letter for future reference.
- The Bihar UGEAC counselling fee is the sum that candidates must pay in order to participate in the counselling procedure. The Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination Board (BCECEB), which is in charge of the counselling procedure, determines the counselling fee for Bihar UGEAC.
- It should be noted that the Bihar UGEAC counselling fee is non-refundable, even if a candidate is not admitted to any college. As a result, before submitting their choices and paying the counselling fee, candidates should carefully assess their college preferences.
- Candidates who do not pay the counselling fee within the time frame indicated will be unable to participate in the Bihar UGEAC counselling process. To avoid any inconvenience, it is critical to finish the payment process within the time frame specified.
- Original Admit Card of JEE MAIN
- Original Score Card of JEE MAIN
- Passing Certificate / Mark sheet / Admit Card of Metric / equivalent exam.
- Passing Certificate / Mark sheet / Admit Card of Intermediate/ 10+2 / equivalent exam.
- Residential Certificate
- Caste Certificate
- All the Certificate / documents in original as per the requirements of admissions in Private Engg. Colleges.
- Six copies of the passport size photographs, which was pasted on the Admit Card of JEE MAIN.
- Downloaded print of Online filled Application Form of UGEAC.
- Aadhar Card.
- Any other documents required (if any) such as DQ (PwD)/SMQ / EWS certificate
List of the Engineering Colleges in Bihar
List Of Government Engineering Colleges in Bihar
|Government Engineering Colleges in Bihar
List Of Pruvate Engineering Colleges in Bihar
|Private Engineering Colleges in Bihar
Engineering predictors refer to tools that use historical data and algorithms to estimate a student’s rank or chances of admission in engineering entrance exams like JEE Main or JEE Advanced, or to predict their likelihood of getting into specific engineering colleges based on their exam performance and other relevant factors.
We offer a range of valuable predictors to guide students through this crucial journey. Here are some of the Predictor that we provide,
- JEE Main Rank Predictor
- JEE Advanced Rank Predictor
- JEE Main College Predictor
- JEE Advanced College Predictor
Engineering Admission Consultant
As a JoSAA Counselling Expert, we offer specialized guidance and support for engineering admissions through the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) Counselling process. Our team of knowledgeable Engineering Admission Consultants is well-versed in Josaa and CSAB counselling process, and we are dedicated to helping students achieve their dream of pursuing a successful engineering career.
With our expertise, we provide personalized assistance at every step of the admission process. Whether it’s college selection, application support, or understanding the JoSAA Counselling procedure, we are here to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience for aspiring engineers. Our Engineering Admission Consultant, also guide students for state level counseling.
Josaa Expert Counselling
Our expert counselling services cover JoSAA Counselling, CSAB Counselling, admission to top private engineering colleges, state-level counselling, and NRI counselling. Whether you aim for prestigious institutions like IITs and NITs or seek admissions in private colleges or state government engineering institutes, we are here to assist you at every step. Our experienced counsellors provide personalized guidance, ensuring you make informed decisions throughout the admission process. Here’re some of the details about JoSAA Expert Counsellings we offered;
- Josaa Counselling
- CSAB Counselling
- Top-Private Engineering College
- State Level Counselling
- Direct Admission Through Management Quota
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the eligibility criteria for admission to engineering colleges in Bihar?
A: Minimum marks in 10+2 (PCM) and JEE Main score are required for most colleges. Additional state-level exams or college-specific tests may apply.
Q: What are the different entrance exams required for admission?
A: JEE Main is the primary exam for most colleges, and JEE Advanced is required for IIT Patna. Some colleges accept scores from BCECE (Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination) for state quota seats.
Q: What are the fees for engineering colleges in Bihar?
A: Fees vary significantly depending on the college type (government vs. private) and location. Government colleges are generally cheaper, while private universities can be expensive.
Q: Which are the top engineering colleges in Bihar?
A: IIT Patna, NIT Patna, and Maulana Azad College of Engineering and Technology are among the top institutions.
What are the different engineering specializations offered?
A: Most colleges offer traditional branches like Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Computer Science. Some also offer specialized fields like Biotechnology, Robotics, and Automobile Engineering.
Q. How is the quality of education in engineering colleges in Bihar?
A: Quality varies depending on the college. Top institutions have excellent faculty and infrastructure, while smaller colleges may have limited resources.
Q: What is the placement record of engineering colleges in Bihar?
A: Placement records vary significantly. Top colleges like IIT Patna and NIT Patna boast excellent records, while smaller colleges may have lower placement rates.
Q. What are the starting salaries for engineering graduates in Bihar?
A: Starting salaries depend on the college, specialization, and company. Graduates from top colleges can command higher salaries compared to those from smaller institutions.
Q. What are the career opportunities for engineering graduates in Bihar?
A: Opportunities exist in various sectors like IT, manufacturing, infrastructure, and government. The state is focusing on startups and innovation, creating new avenues for engineers.
Q: What are the hostel facilities like in engineering colleges in Bihar?
A: Facilities vary depending on the college. Top institutions usually have modern hostels with good amenities, while smaller colleges may have simpler arrangements.
Q: What scholarships and financial aid are available for engineering students in Bihar?
A: Various government and private scholarships are available for deserving students. Some colleges also offer financial aid programs.
Q: What is the lifestyle like for engineering students in Bihar?
A: College life varies depending on the location and type of college. Big cities like Patna offer more options for activities, while smaller towns may have a more relaxed atmosphere.